Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Unexpected Appiontment

On Friday January 22, I got up to get John off to work. We were setting at the Kitchen table having a wonderful conversation and laughing and we were both so happy that I could hear so well and things were going pretty good. Later I took James and Jeremy to school and I was hearing very well.

While I was paying for James's lunch in the cafeteria I was talking to the cafeteria manager about the implant and how it works. She said that she had a grandson that has a hard time hearing.I told her how to get in touch with hearing journey.com and Advanced Bionics and to set up an appointment to see if her grandson qualifies for the chochlear implant. Then all of a sudden my right ear a sound and then it was not connecting. The sound was like a sonar ping in a submarine indicating a target. I called Dr.Donna Schwaber and told her what was happening.She ask if I tried changing the magnet and I told her yes, that I even tried the battery and the t-mic and I could not get the environmental sound in the room. I could only hear that one sound. She said that the processor was not working and that she would call Advanced Bionics and see if they can send me a new processor overnight and I told her thank you very much.

The next day the new processor came and I changed the processors out and the new processor was making the same sound and I was getting really worried it might be something serious. I called Dr Schwaber at her home and she told me to come in on Monday January 25 at 2 p.m. and we can see what going on.

That Monday I went in and they called me to the back and Donna hooked me up to the computer. The first thing she noticed was that the processor was cutting itself off and she told me to relax. It was the lock and that the two magnets were not locking. She tried a new setting to see if they would lock and they would still not lock. She said that she had to change the radio frequencies in order to get it to lock. After that , my left ear started having a static sound. I called her back and told her what was going on, She said for me to call Advanced Bionics and talk to them. So I called them and they believed it was that two magnets on my left ear were bad and they sent me two new ones. Well, it wasn't the magnets. I called Danna back, and she said that she thinks she can fix it. That it could be something she can fix and it may be the radio frequency that she changed on the right ear that might be causing it. So I go tomorrow to get everything right. Thanks to my family,Audiologist(Donna), friends from hearing journey and face book for their support.

1 comment:

  1. let me know how it goes, Im worried for you!

    ~Tina (Tasmania95 on HJ)

    ReplyDelete