Sunday, November 22, 2009

The appointment with the surgeon

Last Tuesday, November 17, I went to see Dr. Schwaber to see if I qualify to go biateral. He asked me how I was doing and said that he would like to look at the chart and to see how my hearing test was. He asked me how I was doing with the hearing aid, and could see by the test that I had lost all my hearing, but 5%.

He told me that he had noticed that I had a generic hearing loss with the shrinking of the canals, but that was not the reason why loss my hearing. He said that my ear just gave out, but he did ask me if there was anyone else in my family that had the shrinking of the canals and I told him yes. My grandmother did she was alive and that my uncle had it also. He told me to be sure that I have the hearing tests done on the boys once a year and that we need to keep an eye on the them if there seems to be a change in their hearing.

He said let's get back to the evaluation. He said ,actually you do qualify for the second implant but I was hoping that you would be able to wear a hearing aid and the implant for a little bit longer. I told him that I had a hard time hearing with the cochlear implant hearing aid together.

He said that there was a lot of people that are like that and have a hard time, because there are two different types of sounds coming together from two different devices. You're one of these people They can't handle the cochlear and the hearing aid together. He said he was surprised and shocked that I was doing so well on my left ear and that I had a mild hearing loss, he also said that he could tell that I have been working hard on getting my hearing at that level. For me to continue to keep up my practices and exercises up. He said, unfortunately, we will have to do another CAT scan because of insurance requires it. I told him that his wife and I think that I do not need to have another CAT scan done and that we could go with along with the one that we had from the first evaluation. He laughed and said I have to trust my wife on this one. He added that we are going to set your surgical date. I told him that we have already have a surgical date set for December 30, 2009 and he said cool, you guys are ahead of me. He smiled and laughed, and said I will see you on December 30.

1 comment:

  1. I will be a CI/HA person in January. I'm planning to do a lot of listening to train my brain. No Rush or Glenn through.

    Byron from Denver

    ReplyDelete