Friday, May 8, 2009

Surgery and Recovery

day after surgery
Jennifer and I after sugery

John and I after surgery


February 4,2009 was the day of my surgery.I was to be at the hospital at 5:30 AM and the surgery would start at7:00 AM. My family and I arrived at the hospital at 5:15 AM to get signed in.We waited 30 minutes and the nurse called us back to the room.

As I was getting ready the nurse showed the boys where they could watch TV and then came back to the room to ask me questions and fill out the paper work. After that we waited 30 minutes and they came to take me back to per-surgery waiting area. John and the boys had to say their good-byes and kiss me at this point. As they were rolling me down the hall, John and the boys were crying like it was the last time they would ever see me again.

Surgery lasted 1 1/2 hours and the doctor and the audiologist told John and the boys that I was doing great and that the implant worked perfectly. I woke up in the operating room when they were taking me to recovery.

Jennifer Thorpe and her daughter got there just as they were wheeling me in to recovery. Jennifer and her daughter were there to give me comfort and support.When they brought me back to the room, I saw John, the boys, Jennifer and her daughter standing at the door with the biggest grains on their faces. As they got me in the room, then they let everyone come in. I was not woozy from drugs. I was laughing and talking like I did not have the surgery and was gaining from ear to ear.

The hospital released me that afternoon and we stopped at Walmart to get my medicines. There was a McDonald's inside the Walmart in Springfield so we went into McDonald's to get something to eat while we waited for my prescription order to be filled. I was so hungry I ate 2 chicken wraps and fries before we got my medicines and went home.

Things were going great until the weekend. I had an allergic reaction to one of the medicines that I was taking. I called the doctor's office and told them what was going on and they told me they would call in a new prescription and after a few days things got better.

With the love and support of my husband, the boys, Jennifer and her daughter by my side, and also with the people from Hearing Journey sending their support and cheering me on, I felt so blessed. God has blessed me dearly.

1 comment:

  1. Renee,
    Good pictures. Your surgeon didn't take too much hair off. I love all the smiles.

    ReplyDelete