Sunday, April 26, 2009

My Evaluation for the Cochlear Implant

One day I was taking the boys for a check-up at E.NT. with one of the doctors there at the office. Lo and behold there stood Dr.Schwaber that I was seeing at Vady clinic 20 years ago to see if I qualified for the cochlear implant.Back then they only would do the good ear and I had 40% hearing in the right ear at that time. Dr Schwaber and I talked for a few minutes, he asked when was the last time I had my ears checked. I told him that it was 2 years ago at Sha Ear clinic in Memphis,Tn and that Dr.Emmet said that I missed getting the cochlear implant by 5 point in my right ear. Dr Schwaber asked me to come in on November 18,2008 to do a quick hearing teat to see were my hearing was. John and I had a talk with Dr.Schwaber. He ask me to close my eyes and asked me to touch my nose. I did not hear him ask me to touch my nose.

Then he asked my how I felt about the cochlear implant.I told him that I never had thought about it and I had been turned down twice. He said I went you to come back to my office to do an evaluation but to first go get a cat scan on December 2,2008 and then be seen again on December 9,2008 to do a special hearing test. On December 9Th we found out that I qualified to get the cochlear implant in the left ear and that the qualification had changed and that I could get it. Then I met the audiologist Dr. Donna Schwaber that is Dr.Schwaber's wife. She talked about the cochlear implant and said that there are two brands.The one in the yellow box was the freedom and the second was in the blue box that was the Harmony. That I had to pick which one wanted. I picked the Harmony. The insurance company had given their approval December 29,2008. My boys had prayed for 3 years for this day and God as bless me to be able to get this wonderful technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment